Request For Proposals (RFP) For Provision Of Disaster Recovery Solution
The African Academy of Sciences (The AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit pan African organisation. The vision of The AAS is transformed lives through science, while its mission is to leverage resources for Science Technology and Innovation (STI) through excellence and thought leadership for Africa’s development.
Our tripartite mandate is recognising excellence through The AAS’s highly prestigious fellowship, Affiliates and award schemes; providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping Africa’s Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies and implementing key STI Programmes addressing Africa’s developmental challenges. The AAS identifies and recruits eminent and accomplished scientists into its Fellowship and Affiliates programme from across the continent and from the diaspora and currently have over 460 Fellows. The AAS has a diverse portfolio of STI programmes currently being implemented across the continent. These include programmes in health research leadership capacity development, innovation, climate change, human genomics, postdoctoral training, good financial grant governance and good research management practice. The AAS works with global funding partners to deliver its mandate. Visit the
AAS website at www.aasciences.ac.ke for more information on the organization.
Description of the assignment:
The AAS request for Proposals from qualified firms that propose a comprehensive, enterprise-wide Disaster Recovery Solution. The acquired solution may fit into any of the following categories:
- Administered mainly by AAS IT personnel after installation;
- Co-administered through a Managed Service Provider (MSP); or
- Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) solution.
The Information in this RFP should be used to determine the scope of this project. AAS reserves the right to select all or some of the DR Solution services and components listed below that best matches its needs and budget for the project.
Scope of Disaster Recovery Solution:
1. Rapid, Effective, and Testable Recovery of Targeted Systems, Services, or Data in a Declared Disaster:
- Provides DR capabilities for on-premises systems, services, and data
- Provides DR capabilities for cloud-based systems, services, and data
- Suitable and intended for use by small and medium-sized companies and organizations
- Readily and repeatedly testable at minimal or no cost
- Testable during regular business hours with minimal or no impact to production systems, services, or data
- Selectable Recovery Point Objectives (RPO’s)
- Recovery Time Objectives (RTO’s) of less than 1 hour
- Email Notification capable
2. Backup and Restore of Discrete Targeted Systems, Services, and Data
- Scheduled, continuous, or ad hoc backup and restore processes for scalable cloud or on- premises data across multiple types of media
- Suitable and intended for use by small and medium-sized companies and organizations
- Virtual Machine and file-level backup and restore
- Backup set data integrity protection from malware and ransomware attacks
- Data encryption
- Data compression
- Data deduplication
3. Data Migration and Archiving
- Customized data archive, migration, and retention policies
- Automated processes
- Auto-tiered storage policies
4. Ransomware Recovery
- Ransomware detection, alerting, and mitigation response
- Robust ransomware recovery processes
5. eDiscovery and Legal Hold
- eDiscovery global search capability
- Legal hold with data authenticity checking controls
6. Auditable Backup and Restoration Procedures
- Logs of failed and successful backups
- Logs of failed and successful restorations
- Time logs of how long a restoration exercise took
7. Data Compliance Monitoring
- Monitor and report on data and file types for potential non-compliance
- Tag or migrate non-compliant data
8. Application Integration
- Integration with Office 365
- Integration with MS Active Directory
- Integration with MS Azure
- Integration with Amazon AWS
- Integration with Hyper V/SAN/NAS/Security management
9. Support Channels
- Phone and Internet support SLA
- Trouble ticket escalation options
AAS will require that finalists conduct a PoT/PoC which will involve entering into a Non- Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
In order to be selected for this engagement, the Respondent must demonstrate that it can meet the requirements of the RFP and the scope of work above. The respondent should demonstrate the below, failure of which the respondent’s proposal may be declared non- responsive:
- The Respondent must be established in the industry of providing DR Solutions and must provide detailed information in response to Section (A) Firm’s Background, Qualifications, and Experience. AAS may request information substantiating the above requirements.
- The DR Solution team must consist of individuals with in-depth experience across multiple technologies including, client platforms, server infrastructures, web applications and IP networking. Individuals on the team should hold valid certifications relevant to their role such as, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
All information requested in the RFP must be addressed in the Respondent’s proposal. Proposals should provide a concise explanation of Respondent’s qualifications and the proposed solutions and services to be rendered. Emphasis should be placed on completeness and clarity of content. Each proposal must be submitted in response to categories A through D outlined below and must be clearly labeled as such.
Qualification (Section A): Describe the technical capabilities of the Firm. Provide references of other similar projects performed during the last five years demonstrating ability to successfully complete the work. Provide a statement of your Firm's background, history, and ownership structure, including any parent, affiliated or subsidiary company, and any business/technology partners (include level of partnership).
Summary and project plan (Section B): summary of the overall approach to satisfying the scope of work to be performed, the sequence of activities, and a description of techniques, tools and equipment to be used.
a. Provide a percentage break down of how much of the engagement will be performed on your site, AAS site or remotely.
b. Identify which installation, administration, and maintenance tasks that will be performed by your Firm and tasks that will be performed by AAS staff.
c. Provide a schedule, for each installation task, complete with estimated hours and completion dates.
References (Section C): Provide five references who are clients for whom you have performed work similar to that requested in this RFP. Include the reference name, title, entity, address, telephone number, and description of the solution and services provided. In providing such information, you consent to and hereby release AAS from any liability that may arise from contacting your references and communicating with such references about your prior engagements and soliciting an opinion regarding the work performed for such reference.
Cyber Security, Confidentiality and Quality of Service (Section D): Given the nature of the data that AAS processes, what assurances can you provide that your Firm will not be subject to cyber- attacks? Respondent must describe security and protection measures in detail including the following information and/or documentation
i. How they prevent attacks and malware.
ii. How they handle threats.
iii. How they mitigate actual attacks and cyber-attacks.
iv. Monitoring of suspicious activity.
v. What types of attacks do they have software installed to protect against?
vi. If a security breach were to occur, describe the actions that would be taken by your firm including the amount of time it would take to discover a breach and to report the breach to AAS.
vii. What is the organization’s policy on confidentiality during and after the engagement?
viii. It is expected that the selected firm will have adequate quality control procedures in place to guarantee the accuracy of the work performed. Briefly describe your quality assurance procedures.
Note: Respondents must include a Map of their Datacenters and a brief of how they are interconnected.
Response will be evaluated based on the following criteria. Technical will constitute 80%; Financial will constitute 20%.
This document is the property of the AAS and contains proprietary and confidential information. Recipients may use or reproduce the information detailed within this document and any other supporting information only to provide a response to this RFP.
The AAS makes no commitment to any consultant/service provider unless a contract has been awarded and signed by both parties. The AAS reserves the right to cease this exercise at any time. During the period of this activity, no contact should occur between any members of the supplier's staff and any member of The AAS staff in relation to this exercise other than through the designated contact points as detailed within this RFP. It is however recognized that pre- existing relationships if any, shall be respected.
Where appropriate, any costs for travel and subsistence must be clearly shown in the proposal.
Consultants should be aware that inappropriate publicity could have a serious effect upon The AAS’s business. The information contained within this document or subsequently made available to the consultant is deemed confidential and must not be disclosed without the prior written consent of The AAS unless required by law.
By submission of a proposal, the consultant warrants that the prices in the proposal have been arrived at independently, without consultation, communication, agreement or understanding for the purpose of restricting competition, as to any matter relating to such prices, with any other potential consultant or with any competitor.
It should be noted that this document relates to a Request for Proposal only and not a firm commitment from The AAS to enter into a contractual agreement. In addition, The AAS will not be held responsible for any costs associated with the production of a response to this Request for Proposal.