Call for the AAS Affiliates 2020
Funding Call Details
Call Opens – 02 June 2020, 1700 Hrs EAT
Closes – 24 July 2020, 1800 Hrs EAT
Applications are invited for the sixth cohort of Affiliates of the African Academy of Sciences.
The AAS Affiliates Programme seeks early and mid-career scientists who demonstrate excellence in their development and application of science in Africa. These individuals become ‘Affiliate of the AAS’ for a period of five years during which they receive individualized professional development support and join a wider community of science leaders on the African continent.
Why become an Affiliate?
- You will be recognized for your scientific excellence as ‘Affiliate of the AAS’ alongside The AAS Fellows;
- You will receive individualized professional development planning support;
- You will be enrolled into the AAS Mentorship Scheme during the five years;
- You will benefit from a range of career development activities including but not limited to grant writing, publishing, science communication, ethical conduct of research, intellectual property issues, collaborative research, scientific entrepreneurship, etc.
- You will join a platform for networking and collaborating among early and mid-career researchers regionally and globally;
- You will benefit from other AAS opportunities as they become available.
What we expect from the AAS Affiliates:
The AAS Affiliates live out the Academy’s vision of transforming lives through sciences in their research and leadership excellence.
They actively contribute to the programme activities while also motivating other young researchers to pursue scientific excellence.
The programme accelerates their transition into independent researchers and enhances their contribution to innovations, policy engagement, mentorship, interdisciplinary collaboration and research management.
Consequentially, Affiliates’ professional development contributes to strengthening their institution’s scientific capacity.
- Must be an African national;
- Must have obtained their PhD in the last ten years;
- Must have substantial postdoctoral research experience;
- Must be aged 40 years and below by the 31st December of that year. Individual considerations will be made for female candidates above 40 years who have had career interruptions;
- Must be residing in or affiliated with an African higher education or research institution;
- Female candidates and candidates from under-represented disciplines and countries are especially encouraged to apply.
What we are looking for:
- Quality of scientific outputs;
- Evidence of good academic citizenship;
- The strength of the applicant’s statement of interest;
- Applicant’s range of scientific awards and other recognitions;
- Engagement in other relevant professional activities.
A full application will comprise of:
- A fully filled online application form submitted on Ishango (see details below)
- Detailed CV using the recommended template
- Copies of five (5) principal publications
- At least two reference letters and names and contacts of the referees/mentors
Applying on the AAS Ishango Online System:
Please follow the instructions below. Applications must be received on or before 24th July 2020, 1800 Hrs East African Time.
- Follow this link to get to the AAS Ishango Online System: https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/
- Register as a new user if you have not used the system before. If you have used the system before, please proceed to step 4.
- The system will email you a temporary password.
- Follow the link https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/ again to access the system
- Go to Existing User and log in with your password (for first time users, you will be requested to replace your temporary password with one of your choice).
- Once you log in go to New Grant Application and go to click Here
- Select Call for AAS Affiliates 2020 and click Apply to begin filling in the online form.
- Once you have provided all the required information, please validate and submit the form. You will receive an automatic email confirming your submission and a unique reference number for future communication regarding your application.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any clarification or encounter any difficulties as you use the online system.