CALL FOR THE AAS AFFILIATES 2019
Funding Call Details
The AAS Affiliates Programme seeks early and mid-career scientists who demonstrate excellence in their development and application of science in Africa. These individuals become Affiliates of The AAS for a period of five years during which they receive individualised professional development support and join a wider community of science leaders on the African continent.
Please note that the process now allows individuals to apply directly instead of being nominated by senior scientists.
Why Become An Affiliate?
- You will be recognised for your scientific excellence as an Affiliate of The AAS alongside The AAS Fellows
- You will receive individualised professional development planning support
- You will be enrolled into The AAS Mentorship Scheme during the five years
- You will benefit from a range of career development activities including but not limited to grant writing, publishing, science communication, ethical conduct of research, intellectual property issues, collaborative research, scientific entrepreneurship, etc
- You will join a platform for networking and collaborating early and mid-career researchers regionally and globally
- You will benefit from other AAS opportunities as they become available.
What We Expect From The AAS Affiliates
- The AAS Affiliates live out the Academy’s vision of transformed lives through sciences in their research and leadership excellence
- They actively contribute to the programme activities while also motivating other young researchers to pursue scientific excellence
- The programme accelerates their transition into independent researchers and enhances their contribution to innovations, policy engagement, mentorship, interdisciplinary collaboration and research management. Consequentially, Affiliates’ professional development contributes to strengthening their institution’s scientific capacity.
- Must be an African national
- Must have obtained their PhD in the last 10 years
- Must have substantial postdoctoral research experience
- Must be aged 40 years and below by the 31st December of that year. Individual considerations will be made for female candidates above 40 years who have had career interruptions
- Must be residing in or affiliated with an African higher education or research institution
- Female candidates and candidates from under-represented disciplines and countries are especially encouraged to apply.
What We Are Looking For
- Quality of scientific outputs
- Evidence of good academic citizenship
- The strength of the applicant’s statement of interest
- Applicant’s range of scientific awards and other recognitions
- Engagement in other relevant professional activities.